This post title should get me lots of interesting google searches. 🙂
In reality, I’m talking about Lent. My husband grew up Catholic, and while I am not confirmed, I attend a catholic church with him on major holidays and usually once a month-ish (we try…).
For the past 7 years, I have always participated in Lent with him, giving up something so that we can do it together. This year, I’ve been racking my brain trying to think of something to give up. This tradition used to be a lot easier before I had instilled my healthier living habits. I used to give up soda, candy, fast food, etc. But all those things have been void of my life for almost a year now. I can’t even remember the last time I went through a drive-thru. Even at airports, I’ve managed to make healthy choices, or pack my own food! I gave up coffee last year, in particular, Starbucks, but since I’ve started working from home and am no longer a few feet away from a coffee shop like I was in design school (we had one in our building, it was as awesome as it sounds) it seems silly to give that up too. I almost feel like my life is boring now! Where are all my vices? Here’s a short list of what I’m contemplating giving up for Lent this year:
1. Meat – I don’t eat a lot of it already, but I do eat it with most dinners. It would be hard to convince the husband to do this with me, which would mean cooking 2 meals every night. Also, I struggle with getting enough protein in my diet already, so I would just have to do some research on alternate protein sources (other than protein powder. I hate relying on a processed powder to get in my daily protein. I just don’t feel like it’s the same quality that I get from actual food.)
2. Television – This one would be tough, and I’m pretty sure our DVR would explode by day 5. Again, this would have to be one that both the husband and I are on board with, because I’m not going to just sit upstairs or in the dining room all night while he watches our shows by himself.
3. Social Networking – This one seems like the easiest one, but running my own business from scratch practically relies on social networking as the main marketing tool. On top of that, being 3000 miles away from my family back home in Arizona, facebook is our #1 way of staying in contact with each other. We are all busy, have a 2 hour time difference, and have completely different schedules, so talking on the phone isn’t always easy.
4. Cereal – After my mouth surgery, I didn’t eat cereal for about 3-4 weeks. I used to have it multiple times a day. I’ve slowly started adding it back, but I am thinking of cutting it out again all together. It’s high calorie and doesn’t have much nutritional value, so I’d like to replace it with something that is better for me all around, like fruit, yogurt, etc.
5. Sugar – this isn’t happening.
So those are the top contenders as of now. I have a few days to figure it out, so hopefully I can just pick one and stick with it.
Are you participating in Lent? What are you giving up? What would you choose on my list?