I’ve always loved the idea of fresh starts. First days of the month, first days of the year, first day of school, etc. I even love Mondays, because I feel like I can start a new goal and wake up ready to take it on!
It’s now the first of September. This summer flew by faster than I could have imagined. I played at the beach, I went to my family reunion, I rode rollercoasters and I read. I also worked my tail off to get my business off the ground (shameless plug: if you know anyone in need of wedding stationery or business cards, send them here!)
With a new month beginning and a bouquet of sharpened pencils (<–You've Got Mail, anyone?) I'd like to make a list of goals for this month. I feel like other aspects of my life are finally getting under control, it's time to tackle some new obstacles.
1. Run 3 days a week. It's good exercise, it's good for my body, and it's finally getting cool enough to enjoy it outside again. They don't have to be long runs, just run.
2. Eat less packaged food. I've been doing better on making a lot of my own meals, but I still eat a lot of frozen veggie burgers, bars, etc. I'd like to take a stab at making my own Larabars and veggie patties. I really want to expand my cooking and try new things.
3. Eat more veggies. I used to have a salad with at least one meal a day. I got sick of spinach and haven't been eating salads with lunch anymore, but I bought a giant bag of kale and have been trying some recipes with it. So far I've steamed it, mixed it in my pasta and made a massaged kale salad. I also bought a giant bag of carrots that I prepped, and are an easy, ready to eat crunchy snack.
4. Connect with my family. I've been known to be anti-telephone, and it's starting to cause a strain on my relationships with those that are far away. Even just a text message a day with my mom would make me happy.
5. Watch less tv, read more books. Lately, the husband and I have been turning off the tv in the evenings and reading on the couch together. It's been really nice, and we even cancelled HBO! (Woo, saving money!)
So bring it on September. I hope you're the best September yet.